Since it's the middle of winter, soup is always on my mind. One of my favorites? Butternut squash soup! Last month I spent a lot of time with my mom, and we are both obsessed with butternut squash soup. I'm not going to lie, we ate it every time the opportunity presented itself. Now that my mom is back home, I've been sans butternut squash soup and it has been horrible. So I created an easy and delicious recipe that has a little bit of a kick and is perfect for a cold, winter day! This recipe can be made vegetarian or vegan and is even healthy!
My mom is going to be so excited when she reads this. Check it out below!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Servings: About 6
1 butternut squash, chopped (about 6 cups if you want to buy pre-chopped, save seeds if you want to use for garnish- recipe below)
1 carrot peeled, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped (or half of a large)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Unsalted chicken or vegetable stock (or 1-1/2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon w/water)
14 oz Unsweetened coconut milk
1 tsp chili garlic paste (optional, for heat)
1) Heat a large pot over medium heat.
2) Once hot, add olive oil to grease the pot and add the garlic, carrots and onion. Stir consistently for 5 minutes.
3) Add butternut squash and stir for 3 minutes.
4) Add seasonings, cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Add stock, coconut milk and optional chili garlic paste to squash mixture.
6) Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the squash is tender with a fork you can move on to the next step.
7) Use an immersion blender to puree the soup together. If you do not have an immersion blender, very carefully transfer hot liquids to blender and puree in two batches until creamy and smooth (I used a large ladle).
8) Transfer soup back to pot and season to taste. I ended up adding 2 tsp more salt, 1/2 tsp more black pepper, 1 tsp curry powder, and one more pinch of nutmeg.
9) Garnish with roasted butternut squash seeds, cilantro, and coconut milk (optional).
Roasted Butternut Squash Seeds:
1) Preheat Oven to 275 degrees.
2) Wash, pat and dry seeds from squash.
3) Toss with olive oil and season with salt.
4) Roast on a foil lined pan for 20-25 minutes.